Employment - Open Positions
JOB TITLE: Editorial Assistant
REPORTS TO: Publisher and Senior Editor
TYPE: Full-time, entry-level position
JOB SUMMARY: Editorial assistant is responsible for the day-to-day editorial operations of the Press. This is an ideal position for the right person committed to entering publishing, undertaking challenging work, and becoming an integral part of Dalkey Archive Press.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Copy editing and proofreading of book texts, the Review of Contemporary Fiction, and CONTEXT magazine, as well as other materials produced by the Press.
- Acquiring materials for these publications and identifying books for publication, as well as reviewing all submissions to the Press
- Corresponding with key contacts such as publishers and authors
- Aiding with other Press activities as necessary
- Arranging author contracts
REQUIREMENTS: Minimum BA (preference given to applicants possessing reading knowledge of at least one other language, with emphasis on French or Spanish); superior copy editing and proofreading skills; extensive reading background in literature; extensive reading knowledge of Dalkey Archive Press books and publications; superior writing skills; well-organized, able to manage multiple tasks and shifting priorities; able to communicate well and volunteer regular status updates to Publisher; available nights and weekends; able to learn quickly.
Expected Starting Date: June–August, 2010
Application Deadline: May 15, 2010
Salary: $24,000–$28,000 depending upon experience and background, plus medical benefits.
Applications should be submitted via email to John O'Brien (firstname.lastname@example.org). Applications should include a cover letter that explains the candidate's background and qualifications for this position as related to the requirements above, and an explanation of interest in this position. A detailed resume should also be included, along with contact information for three references.
The Press will acknowledge and contact prospective candidates only.